Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Great, forgotten bands of Chicago's past. . . (Vol. 2)


Since Luke has apparently contracted some sort of AIDS-like virus, I've decided to add on to his obsession with late '90s Chicago bands by hyping one of my personal favorites, Sweep The Leg Johnny. Last year during the Flower 15 week, I had the absolute pleasure of checking out Sweep's reunion show, and the befuddled crowd's reaction to it. Sweep ended up sharing a strange bill with Ted Leo and These Arms Are Snakes, as well as former member Chris Daly's newest project Just A Fire. Amazingly, the band fuckin' killed it to a near quiet audience who were apparently anxiously awaiting Ted Leo. You can probably pretty much summarize the Sweep experience from that show- because this was a band so far ahead of its time that most of the audiences they played for couldn't keep up. Granted, they had some serious help from other bands, especially Alkaline Trio, who they opened for routinely- but we both know that there is no fucking way that hardcore Alkaline Trio fans are going to give a fuck about Sweep, regardless of the fact that they consistently put out great records, and had an even more incredible reputation as a live act. When I say incredible, I mean incredible.

I've decided to introduce you to one of the most epic tracks that Sweep had to offer during their consistently great, yet short lived timespan, and at fourteen minutes and sixteen seconds, I hope that it does not disappoint.

Sweep The Leg Johnny - Sometimes My Balls Feel Like Tits

No comments: