Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fugazi: More Relevant Than Ever Before


I had originally planned to spend a post discussing a ridiculous article that Spin Magazine recently published, but I decided that my write up would be just as big of a waste of time as their original feature. A few hours passed and I stumbled across this Ian MacKaye interview and have since chosen to dedicate a post to talking about how fucking incredible Fugazi is. In fact, that Spin article has a lot to do with my desire to rekindle a Fugazi love fest, because if there is one band that got it right- both on and off the stage- you don't really have to look much further. Doing some brief research can clue you into one of the very few bands worth giving a shit about that traces their roots back to the 1980s.

One thing that continually seems odd to me is the lack of Fugazi talk in the scene, the blogosphere- whereverthefuck. In fact, it is not uncommon to meet people pumping the latest Pitchfork recommendations who have absolutely no idea that music was made before the year 2000. I guess I just expect certain things to fall into everyone's cannon, but alas, this train of thought tends to turn out disappointing. If you haven't heard much Fugazi and you feel embarrassed right now, which you should, you should pretty much go out and buy any record from their catalog. I started with Repeater, and I will help you do the same. Quit wasting your time with bland indie bullshit or worrying about when the last time Lily Allen had a bowel movement was, and buy a fucking record for a change. Here. Now.

Fugazi - Repeater

No comments: