Thursday, February 22, 2007

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Howl Sessions


After spending the last thirty minutes trying unsuccessfully to get my friend to smell his own balls (via the swipe and smell method) so he could confirm that balls are indeed smelly, I'm having some trouble as to getting balls out of my mind. In fact, today has been sort of a ball-y day. I awoke to see Of Montreal's Kevin Barnes' balls, and got some other news that felt like a kick in the balls immediately after that. I've since then decided to dedicate this post to a band with- assuming everyone is healthy- six collective balls, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

To be honest, I didn't give a fuck about BRMC until Howl came out. After ditching the Jesus & Mary Chain riffs, they ventured into some americana/delta blues territority, which, on some level, is admittedly inauthentic. Whatever the case, that record fuckin' ripped, and so did the following Howl Sessions EP that was released strictly to independent record stores of the band's choosing. I don't think I've ever heard a b-side record that has been so consistently good. Even the slow piano driven ballads on here fucking slay! Since it's thirsty Thursday, and our night is just beginning, I've decided to give you all a song to begin the evening with, and a song to end the evening with. Choose your own adventure. As a side note, they are also streaming "666 Conducer" and "Weapon of Choice" off of their upcoming album Baby 81 (due out May 1st) on their website. Shit is gonna rip!

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Wishing Well
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Pretend

No comments: